The Accounting Manager role is a critical leadership position responsible for managing the day to day activities of a team of 6 – 7 analysts. This position reports directly to the Director Accounting Operations and serves as a partner by engaging with business leaders within the Company to anticipate business issues and drive strong decision making through sound financial management and application of accounting expertise.
The Accounting Manager oversees all general ledger accounting activities, including among other tasks recording transaction in the general ledger, the monthly close process, SOX compliance, budgeting, GAAP compliance, research, reporting and analysis. The Accounting Manager ensures the accurate and timely preparation of financial data in the SAP general ledger in accordance with the US GAAP.
A focus on continuous improvement including the enhancement of accounting processes, policies, and procedures is essential to success in this position. This includes partnering across the broader organization and with key business stakeholders to optimize upstream and downstream processes and integrate improvements into operating plans and goals. Ongoing organizational and individual development within the accounting organization is another critical success factor including the ability to transform and adapt the accounting organization to the Company’s shifting business model and strategies.
The ideal candidate will possess the following performance attributes and competencies:
- problem solver - proactive thinker with practical solutions, analytical, and orientation to be tightly linked to business strategies and financial priorities
- professional skills – strong interpersonal skills, builds and nurtures cross functional teams and relationships, respects others, is tactfully assertive, has a bias for action, and follows through to completion
- leadership – identifies gaps and manages resources to meet expectations, recruits top talent, actively develops and coaches staff, sets high standards and expects high performance, tightly linked to and supports the priorities of the business
- integrity – strong ethic to comply with legal, regulatory, and company rules and policies
- process & project management – strong planning and organizational skills, establishes clear accountabilities, active hands-on management and follow through, quality process minded, use of performance metrics
- Lead an accounting team with a staff of approximately 7 employees
- Ensure the accuracy, timeliness, and consistency of the accounting in accordance with accounting policies, GAAP and other statutory or government reporting guidelines.
- Manage the operational excellence and quality of the Accounting functions which includes general accounting (JE prep and approval, reconciliations, month end close processes, etc.,).
- Provide technical guidance and support to team members as required.
- Create and sustain a culture of continuous improvement to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of accounting operations.
- Demonstrate a commitment to outstanding customer service to NextEra Energy Retail business operations.
- Provide timely response and adjustments to audit requests on an on-going basis.
Internal Controls and Compliance:
- Monitor proper accounting and financial reporting internal controls as well as key operational management controls.
- Monitor and assess current trends and emerging developments within the field and practice of accounting to ensure the Company’s compliance and preparedness.
- Support external audit efforts between the accounting team, Financial Reporting and the external audit firm for preparation of the external audit and responds to audit requests in a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Master’s Degree
- 8 years+ of accounting experience
- Big 4 Public Accounting Firm experience (3+ years) preferred
- Corporate Accounting experience preferred
- CPA license strongly preferred
- Financial systems experience with SAP or other ERP system
- Demonstrated experience in managing team productivity with KPI focused results
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Technically strong, with proven analytical skills
Employees in this job manage and coordinate a unique accounting function and lead complex accounting projects.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Prepares financial reports that are in compliance with GAAP and FERC, in a timely manner, to accurately reflect the financial position of the Company
• Provides accounting oversight to businesses and departments within the Company and ensures proper controls are in place for accurate financial reporting
• Ensures financial data integrity through the implementation and maintenance of a strong control environment
• Keeps abreast of, and applies GAAP, SEC regulations, and relevant company policies, practices, and procedures
• Manages professional staff, and effectively communicates and executes performance management
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned
• Bachelor's Degree
• Experience: 8+ years
• Supervisor/Management Experience: 2+ years
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
• Master's Degree
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Finance, Accounting & Business Analytics
Organization: Gexa Energy LP
Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé], providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see our policy for more information.
Nearest Major Market: Houston